Sunday, February 19, 2012

from_60s_band_mc5_dies_at_age_68/
Sayuri Yamauchi (May 28, 1956 - March 6 2012) was a Japanese voice actress. She
is credited as Sayuri in the anime she appears in. Sayuri was formerly
affiliated with Kyu Production and affiliated with Aigumi at the time of her
death. On March 6, 2012, Sayuri died of cancer and was 55 years old at the time
of her death.Sayuri's rolesCyborg 009: 0012 FullmetalAlchemist: Brotherhood: Satella The King of Braves GaoGaiGar: Primada, IkumiKaidou, Ai Amami (Mamoru's mom) Mobile Suit Gundam Wing and Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz: Lady Une Outlaw Star: "Twilight" Suzuka Samurai Champloo: Osuzu Shamanic Princess: Tiara The Big O: Vera Ronstadt Twin Peaks:
Audrey Horne (Sherilyn Fenn; Japanese dub)
Dick Woehrle, who died Monday afternoon of colon cancer at 81, was easily one of
the most recognizable wrestling referees in history. In a time when the state
athletic commission generally assigned the arbiter in the ring, he worked in the
Northeast, in some of the biggest markets, for the biggest promotions, and with
the biggest names.

"In the '60s and '70s, he handled every big match
that was ever in New York, from Bruno to Pedro to Billy Graham, whenever there
was a title match or an important match, Vince McMahon Sr. always had him in
there. That tells you that he was the go-to guy," said veteran Ray Apollo.

Licensed in states such as Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware, New Jersey,
District of Columbia and Maryland, Woehrle worked some big-league arenas. "When
Vince Sr. had a big, important match, it was Dick, especially the Spectrum and
the Baltimore Civic Center and the Cap Center in Washington," said his friend of
40 years, Davey O'Hannon.

Born April 1, 1930, Woehrle was a boxer
growing up, which led him into training boxers and refereeing boxing.

There came the time that Vince McMahon didn't have a referee and called
the commission, which sent over Woehrle.

"What the hell am I supposed to
do here? I don't know anything about this wrestling stuff. I'm a boxing
referee," Woehrle said.

"Well, they sent you, so you've got to get in
there and referee," replied McMahon.

Impressed, McMahon Sr. asked for
Woehrle on a regular basis.

"I think a lot of the no-nonsense part came
from breaking up boxers and pushing people around," said Apollo. "Dick was
always in great shape, he was always fit, he was always wiry and strong. He was
a middleweight."

Though he might have been assigned by the commissions,
Woehrle was no stranger to taking bumps for the good of the match.

"I
took so many bumps. I've been at least into the third row, going over the top,"
Woehrle joked at the 2011 Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame induction weekend in
Amsterdam, NY.

He told the story of once getting knocked over the top
rope by Ivan Putski. "My neck, I thought I broke it. They were trying to drag me
back into the dressing room. I said, 'Wait a minute, I've got to finish this
match.' I'm seeing stars every colour in the book and I'm hanging onto the drape
of the ring. All of a sudden I hear BOOM! And I reached up with my hands --
smack, smack, smack -- that was the end of the match, and I made it."

Baltimore was one of those cities that saw WWF and WCW action, so
Woehrle worked a lot of matches with "Nature Boy" Ric Flair.

"Ric Flair
would come over to me, and he'd talk to me and he'd say, 'Dick, here's what I'm
going to do. I'm going to nail this guy left and right in the corner. You keep
breaking me up. Then I'm going to hit you with a right hand, then you go
underneath me and you nail me with three or four shots -- you used to be a
boxer.'" recalled Woehrle. "I said, 'Geez, I can't do that. I'll get fired.'
'Nah, nah, no, don't worry about it.' So he's beating the hell out of this guy
in the corner and I'm breaking him up, pushing him back. Finally, he throws a
right hand, and I mean, it's coming. I hit him with a left-right, and he flies
over the top rope, right out into the crowd. I said to myself, 'This guy is
crazy.' He goes over to the timekeeper, grabs the hammer and he's coming in
after me. Meanwhile, the other wrestler comes over and stops it. But that's how
Ric Flair was. He could make you look like a million bucks."

Woehrle
said his philosophy was simple when he was asked to get involved: "I always told
the guys, 'Look it, when you hit me, hit me, I don't want to fake anything like
I'm flying this way and make myself look stupid. Hit me.'"

"Pretty Boy"
Larry Sharpe worked with Woehrle often. "He was a great referee. He liked to be
the babyface -- he didn't want any heat on himself," explained Sharpe. "He was
very helpful to new guys that were coming in
the business, he would help
them out, give them some suggestions while the match was going on."

Given his experience, Woehrle promoted some shows, including small shows
around the northeast and a few in the Caribbean, and helped share his experience
with young wrestlers, such as Reckless Youth (Tom Carter) and John Rambo.

Like the wrestlers he officiated, Woehrle faced numerous physical issues
once his career ended, including shoulder surgery, from hitting the mat so many
times, and bum knees from the boxing-like dancing on his feet -- "I'm a guy that
likes to keep moving."

For the last number of years, Woehrle was a
regular at fan fests around the northeast, happily chatting with fans who
remembered him, and seeing his old friends.

"We had such camaraderie. We
might not see each other for 10 years, but it's just like we left each other
yesterday," Woehrle said in May 2011.

With a Remco referee figure to
prove his worth, Woehrle always felt like he was somebody, said Sharpe,
launching into a story that Dick hated him sharing.

Sharpe was hired to
present a wrestling show for a Pathmark supermarket event, where all the
executives and bigwigs were there. In the battle royal, Sharpe's Monster Factory
students wore shirts representing Pathmark competitors, like Piggly Wiggly, and
it ended with James Karen, who played Mr. Pathmark in the ads, cleaning house
and winning the match, which had Woehrle as the referee.
"I know you. I
think I used to train you for boxing in Scranton. I never forget a face,"
Woehrle said.

"No, I never boxed before. You must have me mixed up with
somebody else," said the stranger.

Woehrle persisted, and the man said,
"Well, you are you?"

"Who am I? I'm Dick Woehrle! Who are you?"

"I'm Willie Mays."

The regulars around the northeast, like
O'Hannon, Johnny Rodz, Manny Soto and Pete Sanchez kept in touch with Woehrle,
and knew the end was near.

The initial prognosis for Woehrle's colon
cancer -- actually just outside his colon -- was good and the chemotherapy
seemed to work. A second occurrence resulted in a different version of chemo,
which left him "sick as could be," said O'Hannon. The doctors gave Woehrle the
option of continuing with treatment, for maybe another six months of life but
being really sick, or stopping and letting nature take its course. He chose the
latter option, dropping to under 100 pounds, and for the last week, hospice care
was provided at his New Jersey home.

O'Hannon said his friend had no
regrets. "He said to me, 'I had a really good life. I got to spend it in the
business. I met all kinds of people and went to different places. No
complaints.'"

Though the third man in the ring is often overlooked, they
were key to the show, concluded O'Hannon. "We used to have a saying that it
takes three to tango, and you never really knew what a good referee was until
you had a stinker. Dick made it so easy every night."

Funeral
arrangements are not known at this time.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2012/03/12/19493636.html

Michael Hossack, a drummer best known for his work with the Doobie
Brothers, died Monday at his home in Dubois, Wyoming, after a battle with
cancer. He was 65.

According to the Lake County News, Hossack was
surrounded by family after living in the area for several years.

Born in
New Jersey, Hossack began playing drums in his pre-teen years before serving in
the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War. He planned to pursue a career in law
enforcement upon returning in 1969 when a friend coaxed him into auditioning for
California group Mourning Reign. The group soon disbanded, but in 1971 the
Doobie Brothers asked him to join their band where he would play alongside
drummer John Hartman.

"People always ask me if it's hard to play with
another drummer," Hossack is quoted as saying in his biography posted on the
band's site. "I tell them that after playing along with up to twelve other
drummers at once in the drum corps, this is a snap!"

Hossack performed on
the band's 1972 sophomore album, 'Toulouse Street,' which features hits such as
'Listen to the Music' and 'Jesus Is Just Alright.' He would also play on
additional signatures like 'Blackwater,' 'China Groove' and 'Long Train Runnin''
before leaving the group due to a grueling tour schedule in 1973. After
performing in a few groups in the mid-1970s, Hossack became a partner in Chateau
Recorders, a North Hollywood recording studio.

In 1987, Hossack was asked
to join the Doobie Brothers again for a string of dates benefiting Veterans of
the Vietnam War. The shows resulted in the group returning to the studio to
record new material.

In 2010, Hossack wrote a message on the band's site
explaining why he was not on the road with them. "I have had some problems
relating to injuries I received in an auto accident a couple of years ago,"
Hossack wrote. "I needed to take some time off to address these issues, and get
my health back on track. Things are improving, but it may be several months
before I'm able to get back to touring."

Last January, the group's
management made a statement with regards to Hossack's condition. "Michael
Hossack is improving slowly. He sends his regards to all our fans. He's still
working on health issues but getting better. We will keep you updated on a
regular basis."

The Doobie Brothers have yet to make a statement via
Facebook or Twitter on Hossack's passing ("currently absent on health leave" is
placed next to his bio link on the band's site). The group have a string of
dates slated for this spring before hitting the road with Chicago for a lengthy
co-headlining U.S. tour.

Hossack leaves behind a daughter and son.
Funeral arrangements have yet to be announced.

http://www.spinner.com/2012/03/13/michael-hossack-doobie-brothers-drummer-dead/

No comments: