Saturday, July 19, 2008

2005 into 2006

Saturday, November 19, 2005
A friend in Tokyo just called me to tell me lengendary guitarist LINK WRAY died at the age of 76! I'm glad I saw him a few years when he played the now defunked TRAMMPS in NYC. The Woggles and Southern Culture On The Skids were also on the bill. I can't find anything about it yet in English. All I found was an article in Danish!

Owed T'AlexStupid heart, cupid heartWhere will ya go from hereMagnetic ring, magnetic drawOoh, whatcha got me intoEye of ah wolf, chrome crawLeavin' ya now, I'll write cha, maTakin' ah putt up t' Carson CityWell, if y' hear me howlin' - W'hell, Sittin' pretty, Tastin' nitty grittyPuttin' on in t' Carson CitySparks, tattoos, 2 tat, 'n ah tootHelmets, crosses, 'n a patch t' bootEngine hot, pipes burn whiteGlad ah'm not … home t'nightFive miles back Ah took ah spillThought I almost paid m' billMakin' m' putt ta Carson CityParty time with the Jones by nameAww, it's a shame - say, it's a pityGotta putt outta Carson City----------Captain BeefheartRIP:Alex St. Clair Snouffer-1942-2006

RICHARD FLEISCHER-died March 24 at the age of 89. He began his career in 1944 directing short films. He made three interesting film noir features in the early '50's: TRAPPED, ARMORED CAR ROBBERY and THE NARROW MARGIN before graduating to big budget Hollywood films like 200,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, THE VIKINGS, COMPULSION, BARABBAS, FANTASTIC VOYAGE, DOCTOR DOLITTLE, THE BOSTON STRANGLER, CHE, TORA! TORA! TORA! SOYLENT GREEN, MANDINGO, THE JAZZ SINGER, CONAN THE DESTROYER, RED SONJA, AMITTYVILLE 3-D and many others. The most amazing fact for me however was that he was the son of the great Max Fleischer who co-created the great original Popeye cartoons (and GULLIVER'S TRAVELS).

No comments: